Good news for fans of warmer weather… we’ve moved the date for our spring event – co-sponsored by Austin Foodshed Investors – to the last weekend of April.
Sorry for the change, but we had a wonderful opportunity present itself that we couldn’t pass up. We have been able to partner with the Sustainable Food Center to host the Saturday portion of our event, which we are very excited about. We have been supporters of and partners with SFC for some time now and it just felt like a perfect fit when their space became available.
So, we are still working on the overall program, list of speakers and such, but we can start to tease some info already.
The Saturday Slow Money & AFI Masters Class
- To be held at the Sustainable Food Center
- We will cover a variety of food system related topics, in panel and round-table formats
- the state of the current local food system
- gaps that experts, entrepreneurs and investors see in our food system
- identify opportunities and those working to fill those gaps
- discuss ways community members can get involved with and help finance these initiatives
- And of course, it wouldn’t be an AFI event without a reception and drinks!
On Sunday, we will be at Springdale Farm to celebrate local farms, producers and food
- We will be showcasing and hearing from some local food heroes
- We will have hands-on sessions covering a variety of topics
- Organic Farming
- Forming and Operating Cooperatives
- Grant and other funding oportunites for local food entrepreneurs
- Local sourcing – from both the producer and buyer perspective
- Recent happenings with farm to school and farm to work programs
- We even plan to showcase a few small businesses looking to raise money
- There will be food trucks on-site for lunch
- To top it all off, we’ll have local vendors with products to share/try/enjoy
So, as you can see, we have a lot planned for those two days, but we are confident that it will end up being a wonderful event, supported by our community and highlighting the food system players that make our area such an amazing place to live.
***We are looking for volunteers to help with various aspects of the event – from planning, logistics, outreach and day of – so if you’d like to get involved, please let us know.
Keep an eye out in the coming weeks. We will be releasing information about speakers, hands-on session leaders and general details as they are confirmed.